Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Today we packed a lot of the server room 'stuff', as well as consolidated several dozens of empty software boxes. Basically keeping the media and license for the stuff we needed to keep, and tossing the rest. I even tossed several dozen Win95 and Win98 CDs out, along with the manual - after tearing off the front cover (with the license on it).

I also implemented the new, consolidated and corrected, absolutely perfect and all-inclusive DNS and YP settings I worked out a few weeks ago. Basically I took the existing hosts file from NIStuff and domains, and then made them look more or less the same, and added all the new boxes and names we needed to add, and deleted the outdated and dead stuff from both. Then today I implemented them.

A few hours later, we noticed that email from the servers themselves were being killed as spam by outlook, due to the unfortunate oversight I made of calling the firewall by the wrong name in DNS. oops. heh heh. My bad. Quickly fixing this problem, I also noticed that I had used # to comment out several entries, which resulted in many many errors and such in the messages file on the server. *sigh* I changed them all to ; symbols, as they should have been in the first place, and restarted things - no errors this time!

So far so good!